The ignition interlock device is a piece of equipment installed in your car which requires you to blow a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of .05 or below for your car to start. If the ignition interlock device registers a BAC of .05 or above, the car will not start. Here are eight things you need to know about the ignition interlock device:
1. Not everyone charged with a DUI is required to install an ignition interlock device.
2. There are only two approved vendors you can use for the installation of an ignition interlock device.
3. After an ignition interlock device is installed on your car you will be issued a driver’s license with a “P” restriction, meaning you are only allowed to drive with a car that contains an ignition interlock device.
4. Costs for the ignition interlock device are as follows:
- $12 interlock fee
- $75 installation fee
- $72.50 for monthly monitoring & calibration
- $100 deposit or $5 a month fee for insurance
5. If the court deems a person unable to pay for the ignition interlock device, the court may allow for a reduction in the fee.
6. The ignition interlock device also comes with the functionality which may require a random sample while the car is running.
7. Your BAC data is collected 24 hours a day, every day of the week and is sent to State of Florida authorities in a web-based report.
8. Requirements for the installation of an ignition interlock device are as follows:
- First time DUI, if required by the court
- First time DUI with a BAC above .15 or with a minor in the car, minimum of six months
- Second DUI, minimum of one year
- Second DUI with a BAC above .15 or with a minor in the car, minimum of two years
- Third DUI, minimum of two years
- Four or more DUIs, minimum of five years
A DUI is a very serious charge that can come with severe short term and lifelong consequences. If you are facing the possibility of being charged with a DUI, you need a very experienced Jacksonville DUI lawyer to fight your case. The Lonker Law Group has extensive experience helping people in the Jacksonville area and beyond who have been charged with a DUI. If you are facing the very severe DUI penalties and a felony conviction, call the Jacksonville DUI lawyer who knows how to best fight your case and for your rights. Call The Lonker Law Group for a free DUI case evaluation today!
Received a DUI in Jacksonville? Educating yourself is critical. Read more about what to do if charged with a DUI in Jacksonville.